With the beginning of 2013 I'm searching for the key word to define this years goals. I think the word Simplify fits perfectly. Slowing down, cutting out the waste and the worry, and cultivating planned mindfulness. Here are five ways to start this years journey.
1. Is it really that important? What ever the task is that you believe has to done and are stressed about getting it done, ask yourself, is it really that important? For example, does the sidewalk have to be swept everyday, or will it be okay to skip a couple days?
2. Is it really necessary to explain? Sometimes, its simpler to just make a decision and follow through on it, rather than justify, rationalize, defend, or explain every move. Depending on the situation and people involved, sometimes its not necessary.
3. Is it worth the worry? Worry doesn't make things happen or stop things from happening. Practice letting go of worry with the knowledge that you will handle whatever happens in the best way that you know how. That doesn't mean though, that you shouldn't be active in trying to produce the best outcome for yourself. Do what you can, then let go.
4. Is it really all small stuff? Probably not, but it is the roller coaster of life. Practice staying mindful of what is really important to you, keep the focus of peace in your heart as a filter for all experiences, be careful how you interpret life.
5. Is it adding to my satisfaction? Assess your satisfaction levels weekly. How did you spend your time and is your life balanced? Did you express your appreciation enough? Did you express your love enough? Did you invest enough time in yourself? Did you do the things that help you feel good about yourself? Take the time, it matters!